Re: Update to Octave 4.0 for Windows

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Update to Octave 4.0 for Windows
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 13:43:09 +0900 (JST)

>All I know is when I first started looking about setting things up here to
>maybe work on a few bugs/patches, etc. I went through an endless recursive
>loop of link hopping to try to find a set of instructions on what was needed
>to do so. (only thing obvious was the need for Mercurial to manage the source,
>but testing many things would be impossible (?) without ability to compile,
>no?) Eventually I found one page (manual? wiki? I forget) that said in a very
>roundabout way: "you need Linux". If you get a process together, would be
>great for that to be captured as a step-by-step on the wiki, whether you
>manage it all with Windows or do a cross-compile.
>

>Nick J

Build instruction of windows binary using mxe-octave is shown,

http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer

I have build several times windows binary on Linux(Ubuntu 14.04 amd64) using
mxe-octave
according to the instructions the above.

For Windows native build, I have tried using Msys2
(64 bit (32bit Msys2 does no work well on my PC))
and MinGW w64 32 bit compiler (gcc-4.9.2).

Unlike on Msys2 32bit, on Msys2 64 bit host and
build detection does not work properly,
I executed some dirty hacks in the src/**.mk files.
I have succeeded to build octave core but have not succeeded
to build some dependencies for octave-forge package.

My trails were done from end of June to beginning of July.
But I have had no chance to continue this because of lack of time.

I have not completed the build process so that
I cannot revise MinGW build (Windows native build) section on the Wiki.
(The Wiki is instruction using msys + MinGW is outdated
but new instruction cannot be described at this moment.)

Tatsuro