Re: Update to Octave 4.0 for Windows

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Update to Octave 4.0 for Windows
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 13:27:58 -0400

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 12:36 PM, ijourneaux <address@hidden> wrote:
I was wondering if there was a procedure to building updated versions of
Octave 4.0 for Windows? There is a bug fix that Carne implemented wrt
writing BMP files a couple of weeks ago. The fix required changes to the
Image package and to Octave itself. I think the latest version on the
website is from May.

I can probably get myself setup to build it but didn't want to replicate the
effort if there was a system in place to rebuild Octave for Windows
periodically.
Ian

last I checked there is not a completely Windows-oriented rebuild process. Unless I'm mistaken, most of the available instructions involve cross-compiling on Linux for Windows. If fix's just result in modified m-files, they can just be dropped into the proper place in the Octave folder tree. Other wise, if it a patch that needs to be worked into other files, those of us not running linux usually just wait for the generous souls out there to push a new windows version forward. :D

If you want to either figure out a Windows-only compilation route, or have a linux platform available to do regular cross compiling, I'm sure no one would complain if the Windows tree included separate stable and periodically updated development versions. :)

nickj