Re: ubuntu soundsc and fourier transform

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: ubuntu soundsc and fourier transform
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:12:28 -0400

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 6:14 AM, jordi lendinez <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,
I was trying to use the function soundsc or sounds in octave, but I recives this message:

octave:5> y=randn(1,1000);
octave:6> soundsc (y)
error: portaudio not found on your system and thus audio functionality is not present
error: called from
audioplayer at line 105 column 19
soundsc at line 90 column 8

Too I was trying to use the fourier function like this:
syms t w
fourier(t^3, t, w)
ans =
-pi*dirac(3, w)*2i

but that I recived is :

octave:6> syms t w
octave:7> fourier(t^3, t, w)
ans = (sym) 0

How I can solve this?

Thank you,

Jordi

P.D.: I attached a PDF with the input and output that I have and the link:
http://es.mathworks.com/help/symbolic/fourier.html
where I found the fourier function.

The documentation for the symbolic Fourier says:
"

Symbolic Fourier transform.

Example:

>> syms x
>> f = exp(-abs(x));
>> fourier(f)
   ⇒ (sym)
       2
     ──────
      2
     w  + 1

Note fourier and ifourier implement the non-unitary, angular frequency convention.

*WARNING*: As of SymPy 0.7.6 (June 2015), there are many problems with fourier transforms, even very simple ones. Use at your own risk, or even better: help us fix SymPy.

"

So some things still don't work yet.

--
DAS