Re: Fwd: 24.5; M-x octave-mode fails with: Cannot open load file: no suc

From: Alex Ryan
Subject: Re: Fwd: 24.5; M-x octave-mode fails with: Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, octave-mod
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 11:16:39 -0700

It appears that the instructions for using octave with emacs on this page are outdated.
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Using-Octave-Mode.html#Using-Octave-Mode

emacs works with octave out of the box now so there is no need to add this code to your ~/.emacs file:

(autoload 'octave-mode "octave-mod" nil t)

if you do add it, it will break because the file names have changed.

Could someone please edit this page to indicate that you should NOT add this line of code unless you have an ancient version of emacs (i.e. pre-21).

(autoload 'octave-mode "octave-mod" nil t)

P.S. The filenames have changed on this page too:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Installing-EOS.html#Installing-EOS

Gracias

P.S. Here's the email I received from the emacs team:
Glenn Morris <address@hidden>

GNU Emacs has included Octave mode since Emacs 21.
Therefore there is no need to do anything like

  (autoload 'octave-mode "octave-mod" nil t)

in any non-ancient version of Emacs. If you have such a statement
anywhere in your ~/.emacs file (for example), it will lead to an error
in Emacs 24.4, where "octave-mode.el" has been renamed to "octave.el".
Just remove that statement.

The instructions on the Octave website are outdated, but nobody here can
do anything about that. Please report it to the Octave maintainers.
Thanks.