Re: Symbolic package for Octave

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Symbolic package for Octave
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 20:47:53 -0400

On Jul 15, 2015 7:35 PM, "Tatsuro MATSUOKA" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I do not know why I and the the person who made the original post failed
> by Nick J instruction while Nick seemed not to have problem with symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip
>
> Tatsuro

Sorry, hadn't followed the conversation recently.

I had followed up with the original poster offline, and he was successful in setting up the bundled version using the earlier instructions. He had Python without SymPy installed separately from the bundle (came with his Raspberry Pi development kit). Apparently even installing the bundled package, Octave still linked to the external copy and therefore couldn't find SymPy.  As he wasn't using it, he uninstalled the package, uninstalled all other copies of Python on the PC, and then reinstalled the bundled package.  after that, the Symbolic Package started perfectly.

So, not sure if there's any better way to handle looking for Python/Sympy.  Of course, most people with a separate Python would likely be better off just installing Sympy there. In his case, since he wanted to set up a process easy for his students to set up quickly and follow he preferred the bundled package.

Nick J.