Re: Symbolic package for Octave

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Symbolic package for Octave
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:35:25 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----
>From: Doug Stewart
>To: tmacchant
>Cc: Help GNU Octave
>Date: 2015/7/15, Wed 20:04
>Subject: Re: Symbolic package for Octave
>

>On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 6:22 AM, tmacchant <address@hidden> wrote:

>>Maybe try:
>>pkg uninstall symbolic
>>
>>make sure that there are no symbolic-x.y.z folders left under
>>C:\Octave\octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages
>>
>>(yours might not be under C:\Octave if that's not where you put it)
>>
>>if so, delete it.
>>
>>then from inside Octave re-run:
>>
>>pkg install -auto symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip
>>
>>Then try the command again. That folder with all of the packages should have
>>a /symbolic-2.2.2  folder.
>>*******************************************************************************
>>
>>I am followed the instruction the above.

>>and restart octave

>>           symbolic *|   2.2.2 |
>>C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages\symbolic-2.2.2

>>OctSymPy v2.2.2: this is free software without warranty, see source.
>>Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
>>Detected Windows: using "winwrapy.bat" to workaround Octave bug #43036
>>Some output from the Python subprocess (pid 5328) might appear next.
>>extractblock: read an error back from python
>>str1 =
>><type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
>>
>>str2 =
>>No module named sympy
>>
>>error: error reading back from python
>>error: called from
>>    extractblock>process_item at line 166 column 7
>>    extractblock>helper at line 51 column 14
>>    extractblock at line 13 column 8
>>    python_ipc_popen2 at line 82 column 7
>>    python_ipc_driver at line 30 column 13
>>    python_cmd at line 137 column 9
>>    sym at line 359 column 5
>>    syms at line 158 column 9
>>error: evaluating argument list element number 3
>>error: called from
>>    syms at line 158 column 9
>>

>>Tatsuro
>>

>>--
>>
>totally separate from octave---->
>Do you have python installed on your computer?  --> Yes
>
>Do you have sympi installed on your computer? -->  ??????

Nick J wrote

******************************
If you know you don't have Python, the package author has an alternative
'bundled' version you can get from:
https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/releases

The file you would want is symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.1.zip

symbolic-win-py-bundle-x.x.x.zip

includes both python and sympi.

******************************

For Nick J,
>>pkg install -auto symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip

seems to work flawlessly.

But for my PC (win 7 64; perhaps windows version itself is irrelevant),
the above does not work.

As I wrote
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Symbolic-package-for-Octave-tp4670576p4671655.html

If I install python and sympy externally and set appropriate PATH and
I install symbolic package in usual way (pkg install -forge symbolic),
the symbolic package works without problem.

I do not know why I and the the person who made the original post failed
by Nick J instruction while Nick seemed not to have problem with