Most elegant way to pass parameters to functions that are used as handle

From: rocketsound
Subject: Most elegant way to pass parameters to functions that are used as handles?
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 13:14:58 -0700 (PDT)

For example take the fmincon function (currently only awailable in Matlab)
doc fmincon <http://de.mathworks.com/help/optim/ug/fmincon.html>  . It takes
two handles: one for the objective function and one for the constraints.

I'm curious about what you think is the most clean and efficient way to pass
parameters I use in those functions used as handles.

At the moment I'm stuck with two solutions:
1) Use global variables, a very bad solution
2) Use nested functions, but because of the odd scoping rules I have to
declare all variables I use like in the good old C times and I somehow
dislike this
3) ?