Re: profiler - can someone explain 'self'

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: profiler - can someone explain 'self'
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 07:04:46 +0200

Hi!

On 2015-07-13 15:52, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> Been using the profiler to look sove I've been working on, I've found it
> very useful between profshow and profexplore to get an idea where the
> busy spots are.  What I was wondering is if there is any better way to
> understand what the 'self' portion of the time is being spent on under
> profexplore.

The "self" portion is the time spent directly in the function, as
opposed to times in functions called from it.  In contrast, the "total"
portion corresponds to the total time spent in this function *including*
all called functions.

>  I've done larger scripts with many nested/recursive
> function calls, and profexplore makes it easy to pick out bottleneck
> functions. but when the top level function spends most of the time on
> 'self', it doesn't seem to really give you any useful information to
> work with.  Especially because it breaks out almost every called
> operation (adding, multiplying) on a separate line, what sort of things
> would be included under self?

I believe that this mostly corresponds to the "interpretation overhead"
of things like explicit loops, but this may be wrong.

Yours,
Daniel

--
http://www.domob.eu/