Re: Using qt dialogs in Octave 4.0.0

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Using qt dialogs in Octave 4.0.0
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 03:39:15 -0400

On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 14:32:22 -0300, Sergio wrote:
> I'm using Octave 4.0.0 under MS Windows 7 (64 bits), and I'm building a GUI
> based in Qt for some parameters of m script. Basically I'm using Qt Creator
> to build a dialog skeleton, then use uic command (from Octave binary
> distribution) to make the user interface header, and compile the dialog
> sources. Then use the header and the object file to make the call from a
> oct file (the files are attached).

That certainly seems like something someone may want to do, but there is
probably no good way to integrate such a Qt oct-file with the Octave GUI
currently.

> I think the problem is because the second window don't have reference to
> the handle of the main window of the GUI. In qt, this is simplement taken
> from "this" keyword when a second dialog is created from the main window.
> But in this escene, with octave and the GUI, how can access the handle the
> main windows from a oct file?

Probably what you're looking for is some API in the Octave library to
get a reference to the Octave GUI window, maybe even other subcomponents
of the GUI? That does not yet exist in a well-defined public header
file.

I think the expectation is that most users will use the ui* interpreter
functions to create dialogs and interfaces directly from m-files without
the need to compile an oct-file that uses Qt.

Not saying that what you're doing is wrong, but I don't think Octave's
GUI is written in a way to support it yet, possibly no Octave developers
anticipated that someone would want to do this.

HTH,

--
mike