Re: Windows compatibility

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Windows compatibility
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 23:37:10 -0700 (PDT)

Barry Fowler wrote
> Which operating system do most developers use to write code for Octave?
> Linux?   I have a new desktop with Windows 8 and I'd like to consider
> adding the lsqr routine based on the Linpack routines. If that's easy
> enough then maybe I'd be able to do more complicated things in the future.

For core Octave, especially the compiled parts and the GUI (C++, Qt), Linux
is an obvious choice. Not only because the required build tools are Linux
tools, but also from a practical POV: building Octave is simply lots and
lots faster on Linux.

On Windows the mingw build tools aren't bad at all, but they are slow.
OTOH, in my experience Octave (at least the 64 bit version) runs a little
faster on Windows than on Linux, compared on the same multiboot boxes .....

That said, because at work I'm in a Windows universe with Matlab around, I
do most development work on the Windows side, even some binary stuff, and
later test it on Linux. But most of what I do is with m-files and simple
.oct files (binary modules built using the Octave command "mkoctfile

What you want to do with Linpack seems better done on Linux.

You could help us a lot by testing in Windows 10 when it is released and
help getting it to run there.

Philip