Re: figures not saved inside loop

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: figures not saved inside loop
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 13:11:01 +0200

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 12:19 PM, andre valente <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 12:01:16 +0200
>> Subject: Re: figures not saved inside loop
>> From: address@hidden
>> To: address@hidden
>> CC: address@hidden; address@hidden
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 11:57 AM, andre valente <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>> > The problem is quite simple. For example the code below, sometimes saves
>> > all
>> > the figures, sometimes it doesn't. This is not my regular machine, so I
>> > guess the problem is with the machine and not with octave.. anyway I
>> > would
>> > be very happy to fix this problem.
>> >
>> > a=rand(100,20);
>> > for i=1:20;
>> > figure;plot(a(:,i));
>> > outname=strcat('figure_',num2str(i));
>> > eval(['print -dpng ',outname]);
>> > close;
>> > end

>> Try,
>>
>> figure (1);
>> outname = @(x) sprintf ("figure_%d.png", x)
>> a = rand (100,20);
>> for i = 1:20;
>> clf;
>> plot (a(:,i));
>> print ("-dpng",outname (i));
>> end
>>
>> If it doesn't work: What is the output of
>>
>> graphics_toolkit
>>
>> ?
>>
>> PS: Please answer at the bottom of the message as I am doing here.
>
> Ok, I tried 4 times and saved all figures. So it appears to work. What do
> you think was the problem with my script? Or the solution with yours?
It might be that creating the figure inside the loop was not working
correctly. It might also be the reason for "speed": figures weren't
created.
> The "clf" before the figure?
You can use drawnow instead.
> Opening a figure before?
> How you defined outname.. ?
it is just a function handle, I wanted to remove everything out of the
plot. you cna use your version if you prefer.
> Also noticed your script was much slower.
How much? How do you benchmark?