Re: Unable to compile octave-forge? Is it compatible with octave 4.0.0?

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Unable to compile octave-forge? Is it compatible with octave 4.0.0?
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 14:17:35 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Davinder Kaur
> To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
> Date: 2015/6/27, Sat 12:04
> Subject: Re: Unable to compile octave-forge? Is it compatible with octave
> 4.0.0?
>
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 4:23 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>  Oh! You are installing octave-4.0.0 from source.
>>  Please report full configure summary as example in the last part of
>>  this mail to see what is lacked.
>>

>>  In the example, one can see that llvm, portaudio, Sndfile is lacked.
>>

>>>  configure: WARNING: JAVA_HOME environment variable not initialized.
> Auto-detection will proceed but is unreliable.
>>>  configure:
>>
>>  can be ignored.
>>

>>  Oh! I have forgotten to mention java related bug is found for 4.0.0.
>>  http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45264
>>
>>  patch
>>  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/209ee4a730f6
>

> I am done with installation sir. And now I'm facing this.
>
> $ octave
> octave: failed to exec
> '/usr/local/libexec/octave/4.0.0/exec/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/octave-gui'
>

> GUI is not working. What should I do now?

Please send reply also to ***octave-ML***.

What is below tell?

$ ls /usr/local/libexec/octave/4.0.0/exec/i686-pc-linux-gnu

For me
octave-gui

Perhaps nothing appeared for you

In the case you failed to build octave-gui.

First
http://pastie.org/10260429

You seem to fail to install build dependencies.

First uninstall octave-3.8.1 and its dev
$ sudo apt-get remove octave liboctave-dev

I have seen two old instructions:
https://scivision.co/compiling-octave-3-8/

https://scivision.co/compiling-octave-4-0-on-ubuntu-14-04/

The above is not complete:
I have arranged the dependencies and add some components.

sudo apt-get install gfortran debhelper automake dh-autoreconf texinfo
texlive-latex-base texlive-generic-recommended epstool transfig pstoedit
libreadline-dev libncurses5-dev gperf libhdf5-serial-dev libblas-dev
liblapack-dev libfftw3-dev texi2html less libpcre3-dev flex libglpk-dev
libsuitesparse-dev gawk ghostscript libcurl4-gnutls-dev libqhull-dev
desktop-file-utils libfltk1.3-dev libgl2ps-dev libgraphicsmagick++1-dev
libftgl-dev libfontconfig1-dev libqrupdate-dev libarpack2-dev dh-exec
libqt4-dev libqscintilla2-dev default-jdk dpkg-dev gnuplot-x11 libbison-dev
libxft-dev llvm-dev librsvg2-dev libosmesa6-dev portaudio19-dev libsndfile1-dev

Perhaps some packages are already installed.

If you finish

configure

please report *full* configure summary like shown below
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Unable-to-compile-octave-forge-Is-it-compatible-with-octave-4-0-0-tp4671242p4671258.html

and send config.log as an attachment file.

Tatsuro