Re: GNU Octave 3.8.2 builds for Windows - possible to find

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: GNU Octave 3.8.2 builds for Windows - possible to find
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 07:37:44 +0200

On 19.06.2015 06:38, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
Thank you for information and give reply to the binary distribution.
I will also upload 3.8.2 windows binary with corresponding source on my web.

Yes, that would be helpful.

http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows

I would be good to add information for mirror of ver.3.8 to the above.

There are many problems with inofficial mirrors and inofficial binaries:
- Can you make sure that they are unmodified? (in the sense of no illegal or harmful modifications)
- You have no control over when the mirror goes offline
- The download may be behind a paywall someday
- etc.

So, you have a certain degree of responsibility when placing these links somewhere and recommending particular mirrors. However, if you can set up a mirror yourself, go ahead and place the link in the wiki.

BTW, there is no link from Octave Wiki main page to
Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows.
Is this intentional?

There is “Get installers and sources from http://octave.org/download” at the top of the main page, and there you can find the current installer for Microsoft Windows.

The link to Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows can be found at the bottom of the main page, under the section “Development”, because it is of minor interest for the average user.

Also, it is beneficial to guide the users to the current stable version, which will then back the current development.

Oliver