Please cooperate with me for octave 4 freezing issue (was Octave 4.0.0 f

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Please cooperate with me for octave 4 freezing issue (was Octave 4.0.0 freezes during start on win7)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:42:43 +0900 (JST)

 ----- Original Message -----

> From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
> To: Ortlepp Ingo TU Ilmenau ; "help-octave
> Date: 2015/6/13, Sat 14:24
> Subject: Re: Octave 4.0.0 freezes during start on win7

> This post is mere a record and no replies are required.
>
> I have filed this issue to the bug tracker.
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45312
>

> I cannot judge the issue that you met really a bug or not but
> I think that the issue deserve to be filed in bug tracker because it is
> possible
> that
> someone will meet the similar issues in the future.

Ingo

I would like to clarify the origin of the freeze of octave-4.0.0 for windows on
your PC.
If you have a time, please cooperate with me.

I suspect that your problem comes from Nvidia Quadro.
(On the PC in my lab with Nvidia GeForce GTX 560, octave-4.0.0 works fine.)

1. Disable graphics driver and try to start octave-4.0.0

 The way to disable graphics driver

  The below is translation from Japanese so that it is not real case

  Right click of "Computer" icon -> Property -> Detailed Setting of system ->
Hardware (tab)
  -> Device Manager -> Click "Display adapter" -> Click "driver icon"  -> Driver
  -> Click "Disable"

 The resolution of your display perhaps is reduced.
 Try to start octave-4.0.0 at the state and to report results.

 You can enable "Display adapter" by clicking "enable" button.

2. Try the octave-4.0.0 with --enable-windows64 (work on 64 bit but not support
large array index).
 I suspect that your PC is working on 64 bit windows 7.
 I have built 64 bit octave binary using mxe-octave with --enable-windows64
option.
 Nvidia graphics driver works on 64 bit when operating system is 64bit version.
 It is possible that you start 64 bit octave-4.0.0 with Nvidia Quadro being
active.

 Please uninstall official octave-4.0.0 and install 64 bit version of octave
4.0.0
 The 64 bit version of octave 4.0.0 can be downloaded from
  http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/
  octave-4.0.0-20150616-w64-installer.exe.zip, 143,306,293 bytes, 2015-06-16

# On Ubuntu, Nvidia opengl runtime library conflicts off screen rendering
# routine of opengl based graphics toolkit.
# http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44478
# So I suspect that Nvidia driver affects on execution of octave-4.0.0 on your
PC.

Tatsuro