RE: Octave 4.0.0 freezes during start on win7

From: Ortlepp Ingo TU Ilmenau
Subject: RE: Octave 4.0.0 freezes during start on win7
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 11:32:32 +0000

> From: Ortlepp Ingo TU Ilmenau
> To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA ; "help-octave
> Date: 2015/6/10, Wed 18:45
> Subject: RE: Octave 4.0.0 freezes during start on win7
>
>>  From: inor0627
>>  To: help-octave
>>  Date: 2015/6/10, Wed 15:26
>>  Subject: Re: Octave 4.0.0 freezes during start on win7
>>
>>  inor0627 wrote
>>>   Hello Tatsuro, Hello rocketsound
>>>
>>>   I tried the following:
>>>   1 - redownloading and unzipping to c:\octave
>>>   2 - running 'cscript.exe octave.vbs' from terminal -->
> nothing
>>  (visible)
>>>   happens at all
>>>   3 - running 'octave.bat' --> freezes as described
>>>   4 - running 'octave.bat' in windows fail safe mode --> it
> works!
>>>
>>>   So obviously some windows service is obstructing octave in normal
> mode.
>>>   Any idea which one might be the culprit?
>>>
>>>   Regards,
>>>   Ingo
>>
>>  Additional information: When running octave 3.8.2 and calling any plot
>>  command, windows is falling back to some basic graphics mode (non-aero
>>  design). So could it be a graphics issue?
>>
>>  Ingo
>>

>>>  So could it be a graphics issue?
>
>>  It could be.
>
>>  From cmd shell, try
>>   cd <your octave binaries located>
>>   octave --no-gui-libs
>
>>  This disables qt related things.
>>  Octave starts up in cli mode and qt graphics_toolkit is not available.
>
>>  If you can start up octave in the above, perhaps your OpenGL graphics might
> have problems.
>
>>  Tatsuro
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I also did an driver-update for my
> graphics card, but the behavior stays the same as before.
>
> Ingo

> Hmmmmmm :(.

> The command "octave --no-gui-libs" seems not to kill fltk graphics_toolkit,
> which is also based on OpenGL.

> Final try,
>> octave --eval "graphics_toolkit gnuplot" --no-gui-libs --persist

> BTW, as a reference, which graphics card are you using?

> Tatsuro

Well, this opens a new - immediately closing - terminal, with octave-gui.exe
complaining: 'unrecognized option '--no-gui-libs''.
I tried '--no-gui' instead. This results in an empty octave-cli.exe terminal,
freezing...
My graphics card is Nvidia Quadro K600.

Ingo

PS: Tatsuro, I really appreciate your help, but on the other hand I don't want
to waste your precious time. As - for now - I haven't got any 'hard' reason to
use 4.0.0 (just the attraction of the new version), I could continue using
3.8.2 without any difficulty. So feel free to stop at this point, especially as
it seems that I'm the only user with this kind of problem.