Re: invoking octave from command line

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: invoking octave from command line
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 16:41:06 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: tim willaert
> Date: 2015/6/10, Wed 05:47
> Subject: invoking octave from command line
>
> Hi Tatsuro,
> ok thanks, (I was trying to call for octave without having to write the full
> path for this octave executable (by just writing ‘octave’ and adding the path
> a path variable somewhere, I heard, but I did not know how to do this
> precisely
> and I had read that it was not without danger so I wanted to ask about that
> last
> time), but for now I can get what I need by just writing the full paths to
> the
> octave executable and to the .m file on the command line.. Thank you still,
> and
> best regards! Tim

I found the difference between octave and octave-cli when executing with
full-path.

> C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0\bin\octave-cli

gave :

GNU Octave, version 4.0.0
Copyright (C) 2015 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type 'warranty'.

Octave was configured for "i686-w64-mingw32".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/get-involved.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.
For information about changes from previous versions, type 'news'.

octave:1>

Octave starts without problem.

However,
> C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0\bin\octave

Octave does not start up with error dialog from windows system that tells
liboctgui-1.dll is missing.

I do not know the above holds on Mac OSX.

***********************:
BTW, for script a file you can load it  like,

> C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0\bin\octave-cli E:\usr\Tatsu\program\Octave\test3\logs.m

However, if (a) function m file(s), which you call from your script file,
exist(s)
in the same path of the script m file, the above may not work.
You may execute cd to the directory where script m file exist and execute
script file.

You can realize the above by using --eval option of command line.

C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0\bin\octave-cli --eval "cd
E:/usr/Tatsu/program/Octave/test3;run logs.m"

The above is safe because global path is not set.

# I could start up octave gui by:

> C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0\bin\octave-gui

Tatsuro