Symbolic package for Octave

From: Pervin, William
Subject: Symbolic package for Octave
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 15:25:21 +0000

I want to have my students use Octave in my Linear Algebra class and not have
to buy MATLAB.
So far I am able to install Octave so they should be able to do it also. We all
use WINDOWS!
I want to install the Symbolic package and don't know how. I have downloaded a
file named:
"symbolic-2.2.1.tar.gz" and put it everywhere I can find
(octave,share,packages,octave-packages, etc.)
and then do a "pkg install symbolic-2.2.1.tar.gz" as the documentation seems to
say. I get the
message "warning: file symbolic-23.2.1.tar.gz" does not exist". What is the
correct, detailed way
to install the Symbolic package? BTW, I don't even know what a .tar.gz file is
(maybe zipped?)
and I obviously don't know where to put it. Please give me some detailed
instructions written
for an Idiot.

Thanks,

Dr. William J. Pervin