Re: How to compile MXE-Octave via MinGW on Windows

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: How to compile MXE-Octave via MinGW on Windows
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 07:32:04 +0900 (JST)

--- lutzmager
> Hej! I'm trying to build MXE-Octave for Windows on my own for the very first
> time. Let me note that I have basically zero knowledge about GNU, C++, make,
> ... when it comes to details. Four things I'm curious about:
>
> 1) I followed these steps http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer. I'm
> using MinGW on Windows 7. Am I correct in the assumption that I can build
> MXE-Octave via MinGW on and for Windows?

I could once do it more than half years before  but many hacks and helps from
John were required.

I tried mxe about one month before again and failed  to  complete the processes.
Note that information on  wiki page is old. Additional tools are required (e.g.
scons). I needed to use msys2 but not msys for scons.

mxe-build on native windows is far difficult than cross build on linux

> 2) Is MinGW slow? I started the make process hours ago and it still builds
> "build-m4". Why is that? I read about ccache? Might this help me? How long
> does it take for you to compile the sources?

MinGW compiler is not slow but script (e.g. configure) execute speed on msys is
very slow.

> 3) If I update to the latest commits via hg into the previous folder I used
> for compiling mxe-octave, does ccache work for m

> 4) And more general: How does the mxe fork work? I installed some basic
> (GNU) tools like autoconf, bash, ... for MinGW and start make. Thats clear
> but what happens next? Does the mxe-make file the whole work for me? Does it
> automatically get/download a copy of the source code of Octave and so on?

The source files of libraries, some tools and octave itself are automatically
downloaded during mxe make process.

Personally i recommend cross build on linux if you can use linux PC.

Tatsuro