Re: string serialization of builtin datatypes

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: string serialization of builtin datatypes
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 15:14:45 -0700 (PDT)

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
> <snip>
> Conceptually, io would be the right package, however if the chances
> are that this is going to move to core rather quickly

Not so quickly, and not in its entirety either.

JWE only wants the spreadsheet I/O to go into core, and I'm not sure if that
can be done completely. Some functionality can go over, some will have to
remain in io due to incompatibility with licensing, too experimental or
fragile code, or other limitations.

As a result, smaller or larger parts of the io package will survive :-)

I think it'll happen with 4.2.0 at the earliest. With 4.0.0 on the doorstep
I think there's no priority to pick this up.

Philip