Re: How to begin?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: How to begin?
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 01:07:16 -0400

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 23:22:43 -0700, prasadmehendale wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Prasad, welcome!

> As an electrical engineer, I work in the field since 35 years. I have never
> used (in depth) any math software like Gnu-Octave. Can you please guide me
> *how to begin ?* My motives are:
>
> 1. To write/contribute_to an electrical engineering package.
> 2. Implement some machine learning applications.

I also have a EE background, those are certainly worthwhile goals to
pursue with Octave.

> My working environment is:
> 1. Ubuntu 14.04
> 2. Gnu octave 3.8.1
>
> I can devote 8 to 12 hrs per week.
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.

Getting comfortable with Octave is a good start if you haven't used it
in depth yet. You can study the m-file functions and examples that come
with Octave. If there is a particular domain that interests you, such as
statistics, signal processing, or geometry, try starting there.

You might also want to work with the latest version of Octave instead of
the one provided by the Ubuntu repositories, see
http://www.octave.org/get-involved.

Good luck, hope this helps, and have fun,

--
mike