Re: problem with greek caracters while ploting

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: problem with greek caracters while ploting
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 11:34:59 -0500

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Przemek Klosowski <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04/08/2015 10:31 AM, Mehdi Daakir wrote:
Thank you for your answer.
I tried as you said, but still have the same problem ...

I am running Octave 3.8.2 on Fedora 21. I give it a command line of

    title(sprintf('\\sigma = %3f',16))

and I see a FLTK plot with title containing a Greek letter 'sigma'. When I change the graphics toolkit to gnuplot:

    graphics_toolkit('gnuplot')
    title(sprintf('\\sigma = %3f',16))

I do not get the Greek character, but instead a simple letter 's'

​With gnuplot it strongly depends on which terminal is in use.
It works with cairo based terminals (qt, wxt, pdfcairo, pngcairo) and does not
work (prints "s") with e.g. x11.​

Now days one can use UTF simbols directly. The advantage is that it will show up
on your terminal window as well:

​octave:4> sprintf('σ = %3f',16)
ans = σ = 16.000000

Dmitri.