Re: gnuplot not working on Mac OSX 10.9.5

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: gnuplot not working on Mac OSX 10.9.5
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 09:31:23 -0400

On Apr 6, 2015, at 7:44 AM, Brian Kaczynski <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2015, at 4:39 AM, Brian Kaczynski <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> After downloading/installing GNU_Octave_3.8.0-6.dmg on my MacBook Air with OSX version 10.9.5 I'm getting the following error when I try to plot something:
>
> octave:13> x = (0:1023)/1024;
> octave:14> plot(x,sin(x))
> gnuplot> set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1"  font "*,6" dashlength 1
>                       ^
>          line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list
> octave:15>
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> -Brian

Gnuplot is telling you that it wasn't built with support for Mac OSX's native "aqua".

First we should check which gnuplot Octave is finding.

What does ...

        [a, b] = system ("which gnuplot")

... return?

Ben

Here is the return for this query:

octave:3> [a,b] = system("which gnuplot")
a = 0
b = /usr/local/octave/3.8.0/bin/gnuplot

Ok. Octave is finding the version of gnuplot that is present in the bundle, but that version was not build to support native graphics.

If you want to continue using gnuplot, then you can try to use gnuplot's qt or x11 terminal.

close all

setenv GNUTERM qt
figure (1)
clf ()
plot (rand (3))
title ('Qt')

setenv GNUTERM x11
figure (2)
clf ()
plot (rand (3))
title ('X11')

Alternatively, you can use OpenGL for graphics.

close all
graphics_toolkit fltk
plot (rand (3))

Ben