Re: DistMesh on Octave

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: DistMesh on Octave
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 07:56:00 +0000

On 15 Mar 2015, at 21:48, Gatwech Thich <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Carlo De Falco <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> On 14 Mar 2015, at 23:25, GMARK <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am wondering if anyone is currently using DistMesh to generate
>>> unstructured
>>> triangular mesh. I use this package long time ago with Matlab and now I am
>>> attempting to give it a try in Octave. Have anyone use this package by any
>>> chance so it make my life easier?
>>>
>>> Any response would be appreciated
>>>
>> Oh, I vaguely recall running this in Octave five or so years ago ...
>>
>> Is there any reason why you would need to use this specific package
>> for generating unstructured meshes of simplices in Octave?
>>
>> There are other options available through the 'msh' package and the
>> data sructure used is the same as in distmesh, in case you need
>> compatibility ...
>>
>> c.
>
> Carlo,
>
> I would gladely use any package out there provide that it give me
> unstructured mesh. I am dealing with a moving front and that is why I thought
> distmesh would be a better option. Please, point me to the right direction.
> Is this package part of octave mesh package? I am currently using 3.8.

Please keep the list in CC, and avoid top-posting [1], this list favours bottom
posting [3] or interleaved style [2] to make the archives more readable.

The 'msh' package on SourceForge [4] has an interface to gmsh [5] for creating
triangular and tetrahedral unstructured meshes.
If you have FeniCS [6] installed before you install msh, it also provides
refinenement.
An example of a moving front is given for example in the demo for
msh2m_displacement_smoothing:

  http://octave.sourceforge.net/msh/function/msh2m_displacement_smoothing.html

HTH,
c.