Octave 4.0 is approaching...

From: Rik
Subject: Octave 4.0 is approaching...
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 09:38:23 -0800

The Octave Team is beginning the release cycle for Octave version 4.0.
This is a major release which will include a GUI as the default interface,
support for object oriented programming techniques using classdef syntax,
and pre-built and tested binaries for the Windows operating system.

But we can't get there without your help!  We will need assistance in
finding, reporting, and fixing bugs; translating GUI menus to non-English
languages; and installing and testing release candidates.  The release
checklist is being maintained on the Octave Wiki at
http://wiki.octave.org/4.0_Release_Checklist.

The first task is to flush out any bugs that people have encountered, but
not yet reported.  If you know of an Octave bug, particularly one related
to the GUI, visit the Octave bug tracker at bugs.octave.org and report it.
Please use the search feature of the bug tracker to make sure your issue
has not already been entered.  Use the 'Search' menu item under the Bugs
menu--*not* the search box on the left-hand side--to do any searching.
Instructions for what information to include in a bug report are available
at https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Bug-Reporting.html.
We will be collecting these new bug reports for 1 week before moving on to
the next release checklist item.

The next item will be to identify which bugs *must* be fixed before the
release and which would only be *nice* to fix.  The list of bugs to fix is
maintained on the Wiki at wiki.octave.org/Bug_Fix_List_-_4.0_Release.  The
current list is preliminary and contains more than 100 bugs which is too
many to fix for this release.  We need help identifying which bugs are
critical.  Those bugs that are critical should be left in the list, while
any others should be marked with "WON'T FIX" and strike through tags
<strike> </strike>.

Please help us and stay tuned for further announcements.

--The Octave Team