Fwd: OctConf 2015 survey results

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Fwd: OctConf 2015 survey results
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:50:04 +0000

I originally sent this mail yesterday but it failed delivery so here
it is again.

On 28 January 2015 at 16:44, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
> There have been only 14 people so far who have responded about where
> would they like OctConf 2015 to happen, but I'm going to close it now:
> it's a near perfect tie between UK, Germany, and Austria, with 5, 4,
> and 5 votes respectively.

It's only been two days.  Maybe a few more days?

> Anyway, I say we should just go with the UK. We have at least one or
> two Octave core developers there, the location is fairly central
> between America and Europe, and almost all of us will speak the local
> language.
>
> Carnë, Colin, can you really do it?

I can at least.  I offered Oxford before I even knew Colin.  I guess
that having it near the Mathematics department may make more sense than
Biochemistry though.

On 28 January 2015 at 17:04, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> The cost issue actually also leads me to (slightly) prefer
> Germany over UK, [...]

In the case of travelling costs, the difference between London or somewhere
else should not be an issue, even for those flying from overseas.  The main
issue may be the actual bedrooms and Oxford is quite expensive for that.

It is probably possible to have group discount for conferences (maybe in a
college) but the price without discount will start around 70£ per night
(that's around 95 EUR and 105 USD).  Germany will be much cheaper (I paid
that much per week when I lived in Jena but maybe Jena is not the best
sample).

This is something to consider as the cost of travelling will limit the
number of people we can fund to go to OctConf.  What is the estimated cost
for renting a room in the proposed German cities?

Carnë