Google Summer Of Code, TISEAN package

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Google Summer Of Code, TISEAN package
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:34:24 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 7:12 PM
Subject: Re: Google Summer Of Code, TISEAN package
To: Dag W <address@hidden>
Cc: Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>

Hi Dag,

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 8:23 PM, Dag W <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Kakila,
>
> I am trying to do the following seen below. Can you please follow up?
>
> 1. I am trying to run the examples of TISEAN right now, but I am unsure how.
> It seems like I need the packages plotutils and gnuplot, which I have
> installed.

First you need to install the executables. I assume you are running linux.
Inside the extracted TISEAN 3.0.1 sources, do:
./configure --prefix=`pwd`
make
make install

All the functions will now be in `pwd`/bin

Now you have to fix the .gnu scripts. For example c1.gnu should be
edited to point to ../bin/<function>
See the modified c1.gnu here http://agora.octave.org/snippet/ugYF/

After this all should run smoothly.

> 2. I will try to run exercises 2-4 outlined on the TISEAN homepage soon
> after that. For each function/executable, I need example data. If that is
> lacking, I have that it is possible to produce simulated data. That will do
> just as fine. I want to run examples in TISEAN and TSA that should produce
> identical results for debugging purposes.

All the functions have example data and the package provide function
to generate the data, e.g. henon.

> 3. Once I can run the examples, I will compile a list of all source files
> and functions that they contain. After that, I will integrate them one by
> one into TSA and debug them as well.
Good, some of the data generation functions, like henon, do not need
to be ported since they are trivially implemented as m-files. Maybe
you want to start there. Please also ask the maintainer of the TSA
package to decide how to deal with these additions (I would go with
subpackages as bim and geometry). If you can report periodically so I
can help/support you.

> 4. The shell works differently from Matlab/Octave. I should think of a work
> flow and API that work for the Octave environment.

Definitely the objective would be to integrate them in the Octave API.
Check the control package to see how a complicated FORTRAN library was
integrated to the API.
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/control/ci/default/tree/src