Octconf 2015 poll

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Octconf 2015 poll
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:46:14 -0500

So, now we have one bids from Austria, two from Germany, one from
Italy, and two from the UK. Shall we take a poll?

    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MJ7PR89

Our needs are fairly modest as far as meetings go. We need a room,
wifi, a projector ("beamer", in German English) information about
accomodations (can you arrange a group rate?), and food. We can buy
our own, or we could arrange for refreshments.

As to my take on each of the bids...

On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 16:04 +0100, c. wrote:
> I'd be available to host again in Italy, but this year with the EXPO
> 2015 going on until October it may be expensive to travel to and
> stay in Milano.

The expenses may be a negative. Also, it would be nice to have a
different European location for variety's sake.

On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 17:10 +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:
> I have already offered to organize it in Oxford, I thought we were
> waiting on germans to offer instead since there are a lot of germans
> devs and users.

Well, now that we have another bid in the UK, perhaps it makes sense
to take this one.

On Mon, 2015-01-26 at 11:06 +0100, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
> GSCE and/or TEMF at TU Darmstadt would be happy to organize an
> octconf. Frankfurt is very close such that flight connections are
> easy.

> The time frame would be end of 2015?

In order to allow university people to apply, the summer is typically
a better time. Last year was in September, though, so that could work
too.

On Sat, 2015-01-24 at 08:06 +0100, Markus Bergholz wrote:
> One opportunity is to try to get a dev room or project room during
> the froscon 2015 in Germany / University Bonn-Rhein-Sieg
> http://www.froscon.de/en/home/ It's near to Blegium and Netherlands
> too.

This may be a good thing, or it may be distracting. Typically we spend
a lot of time of intense working together and having private
discussions. These things may be more difficult if there is a much
bigger conference distracting us away from Octave.

On Mon, 2015-01-26 at 09:17 +0100, Daniel Kraft wrote:
> My location is Graz, Austria [1] [2].  Since there are quite a lot of
> computer scientists (Technical University, University of Applied
> Sciences), I may be able to find a sponsored venue and such.
>
>   [1] http://www.graz.at/EN/
>   [2]
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=47.0709&mlon=15.4382#map=13/47.0709/15.4382
>
> Is there interest for me to try?

I would certainly like to have an opportunity to visit Austria. Can
you start looking into this possibility?

On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 23:05 +0000, Hugh Mayfield wrote:
> I could possibly organise - would people be willing to come to the
> UK?

The UK is a fairly central place between Europe and America, so
perhaps it's a good place to attract many visitors.

- Jordi G. H.