Octave over PuTTY from headless server

From: Jerrill
Subject: Octave over PuTTY from headless server
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 08:28:56 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to use PuTTY to launch Octave over SSH -X. Other X apps (i.e.
xclock) work just fine, except I get the following from Octave:

~~~~~~~~~~

octave: no graphical display found
octave: disabling GUI features
warning: docstring file
'/usr/local/share/octave/3.8.2/etc/built-in-docstrings' not found
GNU Octave, version 3.8.2
Copyright (C) 2014 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type 'warranty'.

Octave was configured for "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu".

The distribution of the headless server (TurnKey Linux LAMP VM) is "Debian
GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)" and the $DISPLAY variable is correctly set to:

localhost:10.0

And like I mentioned before, xclock works. So, the PuTTY configuration
appears to be set up correctly and is working.

Any ideas how to make Octave recognize the setup?

Thank you!
Jerrill