Underscore is not converted into subscript while exporting in PDF

From: afullo
Subject: Underscore is not converted into subscript while exporting in PDF
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 08:36:14 -0800 (PST)

Hello all. I have a problem with a plot functionality (I'm using Octave 3.8.1
on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit). If I create an arbitrary label in a plot,
containing an underscore, with a command like:

text(0,0,"R_1")

the underscore is correctly considered a subscript marker, and the label
appears with the right layout. But, while trying to export the plot in PDF,
by:

print -dpdf "-S480,360" foo.pdf

the output shows "R_1" written "as it is", without the "1" as a subscript of
"R". A similar result is obtained if I try to save it via graphic interface
and not via command line, by the appropriate menu (File - Save As).

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Fabio