Image Analysis

From: ijourneaux
Subject: Image Analysis
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:37:55 -0800 (PST)

I am trying to understand how an intrument we have is calculating visual
perception of the quality of a solid print. The calculated visual perception
index is a strong function of std dev over an area that is about 1in square
(84 pixels x 84 pixels). The average gray level is  also a factor but to a
lesser extent.

The resulting regression is ok but  it seems I am still missing a critical
piece. I have several pictures that have the same visual perception index
(about 20 on a scale that goes from 0-50) but my calculated index based on
std dev and avg gray level are off by 30+% producing values in the 16-24
range.

Any thought on characteristics of the image I should consider?
Ian