Re: Octave often crashes unexpectedly

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: Octave often crashes unexpectedly
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 15:47:10 +0100

On 11.12.2014 11:02, Maximilian Bryan wrote:
> I am running octave 3.8.2 on Debian Wheezy x64. I have a long running
> script, which contains a for loop in which I am doing some calculations,
> calculate an error and then start over. Often my script runs for one or
> two hours and then crashes (it saves the current progress to a file
> called octave-workspace).
> It is hard to reproduce that error, since my script mostly is in that
> loop and at some point crashes in that loop. What can I do to find out
> what the problem is?

>From your stackoverflow question
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27419020/octave-unexpectedly-crashes
I read that you have used Octave 3.6.2-5 from the wheezy repo before and
then switched to 3.8.2 from backports in the hope this would have been
fixed, is this right?

You can install Octave with debugging symbols from backports
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy-backports/octave-dbg
and run octave from within gdb.

Try also Olaf's suggestions (load octave-workspace, have a look at the
loop counter and other vars to reproduce the problem)

Have you checked for some trivial problems like out-of-memory?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Weber
Fakultät Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik

Hochschule Offenburg - University of Applied Sciences Offenburg
Badstraße 24
77652 Offenburg
Telefon +49 781 205-386