Re: GUI - start?

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: GUI - start?
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 07:58:34 -0800

> On Dec 4, 2014, at 9:39 PM, jkr <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I had this working just two days ago.  I didn't try to use it yesterday.
> Today there was a Mac OS X update to Command Line Tools and another to X
> Code.  Now, the gui won't start.  Entering:
>
> /sw/bin/octave-3.8.2 --force-gui
>
> results in only a command line interface.  The title bar says:
> "octave-cli-3.8.2".
>
> I can find both octave-3.8.2 and octave-cli-3.8.2 in /sw/bin - they are not
> the same thing, and neither has changed in the last two days.
>
> I don't know of anything that I have changed that should have affected this
> installation.
>
> 1. What could possibly have gone wrong?
> 2. How can I justify spending another minute on getting this balky thing to
> work?
>

> --

1) Maybe try logging out and back in again.  Maybe there’s a stale process
which is blocking the GUI from starting.
Also, it might be possible that you have a bad preference file—I’ve experienced
issues with those on various vintages of Mac OS for about 20 years.
Unfortunately, I don’t happen to know right off the top of my head where the
GUI puts that.  Someone else here should know.

2) That’s strictly up to you to decide.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison