Image 2.2.2 rgb2gray Octave 3.8.2

From: ijourneaux
Subject: Image 2.2.2 rgb2gray Octave 3.8.2
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 10:15:34 -0800 (PST)

I am trying to use rgb2gray to convert a large image to grayscale.  Right now
the procedure runs out of memory when converting the image in the line

gray = im2double (rgb) .* permute ([0.29894, 0.58704, 0.11402], [1, 3, 2]);

Changing this from im2double to im2single work on my Win7 32bit computer
wit4 4Gb memory but I am always leery about making changes in library code
(tend to lose the changes when upgrading <grin>).

Since RGB array values are in the 0-255 range and the permute values are
between 0.11 and 0.58, isn't using im2double overkill?

Is there a change that can be made to Image to prevent this out of memory
error that is compatible with existing use?
Ian