Re: Problem installing Java package - Octave version

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Problem installing Java package - Octave version
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 07:59:54 -0800 (PST)

Joao Rodrigues wrote
> I want to use package io which I tried to install as (inside the
> interpreter):
>
> pkg install -forge io
>
> But then when I tried to use xlsread no interfaces were founded.
> Googling suggested that the java package should also be installed and
> load before the io one. I promptly typed:
>
> pkg install -forge java
>
> And got a lot of errors starting with:
> <snip>
> System: Ubuntu 14.10, Octave 3.8.1

You can't successfully install the Java package in Octave >= 3.8.0.
Since 3.8.0, Java support should have been built in Octave itself.

What does: (from an Octave prompt)

octave_config_info ("features").JAVA

tell you?
If the answer is 1, you might need some support SW, notably Java class libs+
maybe even a Java JRE.
See the wiki:
http://wiki.octave.org/IO_package

If 0, you're out of luck.
That is, then you can still read/write .xlsx, .ods and .gnumeric files but
no .xls. Apart from the io package you need no other dependencies for that.

Philip