Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:54:49 -0500

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 15:49:27 +1100, Igal Franko wrote:
> Thanx for the answer.
>
> It indeed works in CLI mode.
>
> I googled the error "warning: ft_render: invalid bounding box, cannot
> render" and I found in
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21955036/problems-plotting-with-octave
> and
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-bug-tracker/2013-09/msg00065.html
> that this error can be related to fonts that are not installed. Maybe this
> is the problem?
> Maybe there are certain fonts required by Octave that I need to install?
> Just an idea.
>
> Another clue: if I execute plot(1:10) in octave (in CLI mode) I get the
> following errors: http://pastebin.com/aEirBZpk
>
> I also saw the thread
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/ft-render-runtime-errors-td4656976.html
> which says this might be related to libgl, Freetype or Fontconfig. I made
> sure I have the packages libfreetype and libfontconfig. I am not sure what
> package I need for OpenGL, what I have is the package libgl1-mesa-dev, also
> installed freeglut as I saw somewhere on Ubuntu forums it is needed for
> OpenGL support.

Those were all me, so I might as well comment :)

I only encountered these errors when building Octave on an extremely
minimally configured system, for example in the Hydra autobuild
environment, or by intentionally breaking my Debian system's font
configuration. Is there anything unusual, minimal, or highly
customized about your Ubuntu 12.04 system or the user environment in
which you are building?

The solution for the Hydra environment where this error originated for
me was indeed to install fonts. After ensuring that the freefont
package is installed (not sure it matters which font package) and that
a proper fontconfig file is generated and detected, these errors went
away.

What do you get from the command `fc-list`?

HTH,

--
mike