Octave with Mac OS X and Fink seems slow

From: mpender
Subject: Octave with Mac OS X and Fink seems slow
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 09:06:56 -0800 (PST)

I installed Octave 3.8.2 on Mac OS X 10.9.4 using Fink on a machine with very
similar specifications (processor, memory, bus architecture, etc.) to a
similar machine I built running Ubuntu Linux 12.04, and the Fink
installation seems about 30-50% slower.   If anything, I would have expected
the Mac OS X machine to have a speed advantage.

I'm wondering if the difference stems from the use of the clang compiler
instead of gcc and either MPI instructions or the use of a lower level of
optimization when building the packages for Mac OS X.  Is there a way to
change the compiler options (e.g. -march=native) and rebuild Octave on Mac
OS X to improve the speed?

Thanks, Mike