Re: Octave m-file encryption

From: Markus Bergholz
Subject: Re: Octave m-file encryption
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 08:15:34 +0100

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:04 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 10:50 AM, maber wrote:
I supposed I should not have mentioned the word encryption in such kind of
forum

Jordi, I disagree with you. First. The m-file is not unique to octave. its a
Matlab file right and generated in Matlab!... as long as one plays under the
the rules of GNU.

Secondly what interest would the opensource community have in a m-file
filled with instrument-specific numbers and confidential patient data? only
reverse engineers would have interest in that. Im new to Octave and from
outside view, it appears that if Octave had a little more flexibility it
would become larger player on the scene!

MN

Hi,

It seems to be a gap of communication. You've clarified what you want - not obfuscating the code but encrypting your (sensitive) data.

I don't recall seeing any crypto module/package in octave.

Well, you can realy easily use OTP as a very strong encryption. Disadvantage, the password for decryption is as long as your code is (key file).

OTP decrypter: https://github.com/markuman/linux/blob/master/octave/otpd.m
OTP encrypter: https://github.com/markuman/linux/blob/master/octave/otpe.m
OTP key generator: https://github.com/markuman/linux/blob/master/octave/otpkg.m

it's just very basicaly
you have to enlarge the  tr  string with characters you're using in your code and enhance the function that they work with a whole file instead of single words/strings.

Maybe no such need has arisen before. From a design point of view, it's not a good idea to put code and data together (in an m-file), and doing crypto correctly is hard.

Regards,
ST