Re: gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS plot does not show correct result

From: Zexi (Jesse) Zhuang
Subject: Re: gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS plot does not show correct result
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 09:55:08 -0700

Thanks all for helping. Switch to gnuplot did generate correct figures.

Andy,

Here is my GPU:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GT] (rev a1).

I do have issues with the nvidia driver which I think probably not related to this issue, which is sometimes my display freezes and cannot recover. Windows 8 seems to be able to idle and wait for the driver to restart but ubuntu will go into a black screen and error messages of "nouveau E[Xorg[1116]] failed to idle channel". I haven't found a solution and it does not happen too often.

If I move the plot out of screen it does not seem to redraw(maybe because of the workspaces?). If I try to change the size of the window, it seemed to have redrawn but still not showing correct results.

Inline image 1​ Inline image 3

Inline image 2

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Andreas Weber <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Jesse,

On 16.10.2014 20:57, Zexi Zhuang wrote:
> I just installed gnu octave 3.8.1 ubuntu 14.04 LTS from the
> softwarecenter with the options shown in the attached picture 2.02. The
> plot function is not showing any meaningful line or shapes.

Switching to gnuplot is an easy workaround but I would like to debug
this issue further. Can you tell us which GPU you are using?

"lspci |grep VGA" should list it
Could you also upload (for example to pastebin) the output of "glxinfo"
(it's in package mesa-utils)

If you move the plot window out of the screen and then back, so that it
needs a redraw, does the image change?

-- Andy