Re: validateattributes, where is it?

From: Laurent Hoeltgen
Subject: Re: validateattributes, where is it?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 13:12:04 +0200

Am 28.09.2014 um 19:52 schrieb Carnë Draug:
On 28 September 2014 08:27, PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
Laurent Hoeltgen wrote
Hi

according to http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8249, the function
validateattributes has recently been implemented. Is it already
available in some octave or octave-forge package release? My octave
version from the Linux Mint repositories doesn't seem to have it.
It's in the default branch, which will become 4.2; that will take some time
to be released.

However, because the function is merely an .m-file, you can simply download
it from the patch report.

On my system (with octave-4.1.0+):

which validateattributes
'validateattributes' is a function from the file
/usr/local/share/octave/4.1.0+/m/general/validateattributes.m

so put it in the general subdir.
Do not assume that just because it is a m file that it will work in any
version.  It will not.  Correct behaviour for that function is dependent
on changes made to isa() 3 days before [1].  This is mentioned on that
bug report [2]:

After some changes, including one to the core `isa` function, I have
pushed this to the default branch in cset c404cec84eb4
I do not know if it is dependent on any other change also made on the
default change so mix files from different development branches at your
own risk.

Also, the way I see it, validateattributes() is most useful for users who are
developing code for others.  It is probably not a good idea to write code
for others that is dependent on unreleased versions of Octave.

Carnë

[1] http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2627aeca5032
[2] https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8249

Thanks a lot for the information. I have some code that depends on this function but its nothing mission critical and I still have access to Matlab anyway. So in the near future I'm fine and in the long term, there will be an octave release that can handle the code, too.

Regards,
Laurent