Re: imshow error - your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 8 bit

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: imshow error - your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 8 bits per pixel
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 04:21:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 12, 2014; 9:05pm, jairomarcel said:

> [...] I already saw in others forums that graphicsmagick should be build
> using this command
>
> ./configure  --with-quantum-depth=16 --enable-shared --disable-static
> --with-magick-plus-plus=yes
>
> but it is already installed and if I try to unistall just graphicsmagick
> it
> will request to unistall all the files for octave, but there isn't a
> easier
> way to change the image limit, this configuration probably is set in any
> file, does anyone can help me with this?

After you build GraphicsMagick from source, you will need to rebuild Octave
with your new build of GraphicsMagick.  The fact that trying to uninstall
GraphicsMagick with your package manager is uninstalling Octave suggests me
that you are using Octave from your package manager, not the one built by
you.

I believe the only distro still distributing GraphicsMagick built with
quantum depth 8 is Debian so I am guessing you are using Debian or one of
its derivatives (such as Ubuntu). You can find details on how to build
Octave
from source on the Octave wiki [1] but either way, leave a comment on the
Debian bug #557879 about this [2] so we can stop recommending Debian users
that do image processing to rebuild Octave from source.

Carnë

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Debian
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=557879