Re: Building octave 3.8.2 from source on Ubuntu 14.04 for using multiple

From: lukshuntim
Subject: Re: Building octave 3.8.2 from source on Ubuntu 14.04 for using multiple cores
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 21:01:59 +0800

On Saturday, September 06, 2014 05:42 AM, Sunil Shah wrote:
Hi ST,

Thanks for pointing out the obvious error on my part in testing openblas.

Happily, with octave 3.8.1 switching to

/usr/lib/openblas-base/__libblas.so.3
and
/usr/lib/lapack/liblapack.so.3

does work.   It also uses all available cores for EC2.  So, now I see
cpu usage go up to 1600% on 16 cores.

When building octave 3.8.2 from source, do I need to specify these blas
and lapack libraries as configure options explicitly or it will pick
them automatically given that they have been set through
update-alternatives ?

No, the package maintainers did a good job for us. Dependencies are automatically pulled in. The libraries are in the standard places. You can check what files are installed by the packages using tools like apt-file, wajig, or synaptic.

Regards,
ST