Re: Import large field-delimited file with strings and numbers

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Import large field-delimited file with strings and numbers
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 21:17:46 +0200

>To answer Francesco's comment, fscanf allows for size specification
>without loop, but I don't know how to write the template indicating that
>commas (or something else) is a separator. Furthermore, even if the
>separator is whitespace as output I got a concatenated string instead of
>multiple fields...

Hm.  I tried myself but can't get fscanf to read multiple lines...

Here is what I get:

===File ~/math/workarea/test.txt============================
field1, field2, field3, field4
A,        a,        1,       1.0,
B,        b,        2,        2.0,
C,        c,        3,        3.0,

octave> fid=fopen("test.txt");
octave> fgetl(fid); [v1, v2, v3, v4, count, errmsg]=fscanf(fid, "%s%s%d,%f,",
"C")
v1 = A,
v2 = a,
v3 =  1
v4 =  1
count =  4
errmsg =
octave> fclose(fid);

So everything is nice and good, but fscanf stops at the first row of
data...

Oh, and I also tried twith a template "%s%s%d,%f,\n", explicitely
adding a newline at the end, because the Octave manual does not say what
a "whitespace" is, but no change :(

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107