Re: out of memory or dimension too large for Octave's index type

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: out of memory or dimension too large for Octave's index type
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 04:50:40 -0700 (PDT)

mtalberg wrote
> Hello
>
> I am having an issue with the amount of memory Octave can use compared to
> the available memory on my system. I am running on Window's 7 64-bit, 16GB
> of RAM, and have GNU Octave version 3.8.2, configured for
> "i686-w64-mingw32".
>
> I saw this error after trying to write a 9329664x2 matrix to a .wav file
> using the wavwrite command.
>
> I monitor the memory usage of my computer as a whole, and have determined
> that Octave is only using roughly 500MB of RAM. Is there any way to boost
> the amount of RAM accessible by Octave? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated, thank you!

A few months ago I replied to a similar question here in more detail, you
can search the mailing list archive for that.
In short:
You're hit by memory fragmentation, and that is very "normal" on any OS.
Octave isn't even so bad in this respect. I tried both Octave and Matlab on
the same PC (32bit XP w. 4 GB RAM) to find out how much memory was
available. Matlab has a call for that, in Octave one needs trial and error.
Turned out the largest contiguous piece of RAM ML could assign amounted to
only (IIRC) ~600 MB. Octave was marginally better, but that number had to be
inferred (indirectly).

You'd have to wait for a 64-bit Octave. I heard rumours that that shouldn't
take too long now.
Cross-building it on Linux is fairly easy these days. I have one here,
Markus has one, but there needs to be some polishing done before it can be
-unofficially-  "released".

Philip