Re: Java 1.2.9

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Java 1.2.9
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 08:15:00 +0200

Markus Bergholz wrote:
On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Andreas Weber-4 wrote
     > Am 04.09.2014 09:45, schrieb bologeo:
     >> Hello I try to install java pkg 1.2.9 on octave 3.8.2 (on
    windows 7 32
     >> bit).
     >
     > I never used Java with Octave on Windows but I think nowadays Octave
     > 3.8.2 can be built with --enable-java and therefore there is no
    need for
     > the octave forge "java" package. I don't even know if java 1.2.9
    would
     > work with a current octave 3.8.2.
     >
     > Please correct me if this is wrong.

    Entirely true.
    You cannot install the OF Java package in Octave 3.8.x, nor expect it to
    work properly.   Period.

    The Java package has been integrated into Octave-3.8.+, and in the
    course of
    that a lot of stuff has changed so that the OF package is simply
    incompatible.

    You'd have to wait until an "official" 3.8.x binary for Windows is
    released
    (some time, some day)

or very soon ;)

    to be able to use Java. Or revert to Octave-3.6.4.
    Or you can even build Octave-3.8.x yourself, with Java support - see the
    wiki under "MXE builds".

well, the wiki page aboud mxe builds (Windows Installer) loses no words
about java.

True, but the MXE build process is fairly robust - on my Linux build boxes (cross-compiling) it found the required JAVA JDK w/o any problems. On Windows (native build) it's even easier (but native MXE builds take ages).

finally I've did new builds  with enable-java and with/without large
indexing support.

AFAICS the latter do work fine generally but do have some issues I'm looking into these days (as far as I can that is). I'll put a summary on the task tracker later on. Especially with Java there are few more sneaky gotchas with the 64-bit builds. I'll add it to the wiki when I get time. Or maybe you can put it in a README with your builds - I'll mail it to you privately.

    What is it you want to do with Java?

Good point. What the hell people want to do with jave? :)

Yeah..... sometimes it is hard to avoid ;-)

Philip