Re: Was Running Beautifully, Now Not?

From: Macy
Subject: Re: Was Running Beautifully, Now Not?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:51:04 -0700

May not apply, but similar happened to me.

Completely by accident, I unknowingly used a name of a function for something
else. In other words, obliterated the meaning used inside one of my previously
working .m files, so that after that, and only at certain times, did I get an
error message that made absolutely NO sense, because of the overwritten
something.

Sadly, if you write a function, or is that overwrite a function? there is
absolutely no check like "are you sure you want to do that? because octave
found it already being used such and such a place" even overwrite a variable
name will do it sometimes.

Once I almost overwrote the highly important sign() how? because I used signal
positive as sigp and signal negative as sign, you can see the damage that can
do!

When this overwrite occurs, the error messages then make NO sense whatever. So
step by step down through your .m file to find exactly when the multiple occurs.

Anyway, a heads up for you.