How to use varargout?

From: Terry Duell
Subject: How to use varargout?
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 14:25:11 +1000

Hello All,
I want my function to have a variable number of output parameters, and it looks as though one must use sequential parameters, and not 1,3,4,6 for example.
To illustrate what I mean, say my function is...
 function varargout = myfunc(a,b,c)
% outputs can be [a1, a2, a3, a4, a5, a6]
% where a1 = ...
%           a2 = ...
if nargout == 1
  stuff = a1
else
  otherstuff = a2
etc

so, is it possible to call myfunc as follows;
[b1,,b3,,b5] = myfunc(a,b,c)
where I'm looking to output a1, a3, and a5 only?
I realise that the syntax, above, throws an error, so I'm looking for the right way to do it, if it can be done.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell