Problem building octave 3.8.1: pcre installed but can't be found

From: Dave Cottingham
Subject: Problem building octave 3.8.1: pcre installed but can't be found
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 10:40:49 -0400

I am having trouble installing octave 3.8.1 under Red Hat EL6.5. The trouble is, configure can't find pcre. pcre is installed, and pcre-config is on the path. I can run it by hand, and it seems to do the right things. But when I run ./configure, it winds up with:

checking pcre.h usability... no
checking pcre.h presence... no
checking for pcre.h... no
checking pcre/pcre.h usability... no
checking pcre/pcre.h presence... no
checking for pcre/pcre.h... no
checking whether pcre.h defines the macros we need... no
configure: error: to build Octave, you must have the PCRE library and header files installed

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dave Cottingham