Re: Octave-Forge web site

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge web site
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 18:59:05 +0100

On 26 July 2014 08:58, "Terry Duell" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello All,
> Has the Octave-Forge web site been overhauled or just something wrong with
> the way it is being displayed at the moment?
> I hope it isn't the result of an overhaul/redesign as I think the old
> arrangement of being able to browse the package list and then browse the
> functions in a package was a very good arrangement. I haven't been able to
> find a way to do those things in a similar manner with the way the site is
> currently being presented.

It is not part of the a redesign, it is due to human error. See the
search for help and download packages in Octave. For the specific case
of getting a list of functions in a package, use "pkg describe
-verbose pkg-name" at the Octave prompt.

On Jul 25, 2014, at 19:19:06 -0700, Sergei Steshenko
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2014, at 3:20 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> We've had some technical difficulties and will need to restore Octave Forge
>> from a backup.? It is urgently being worked on now.
>>
>> Ben
>>

> "We've had some technical difficulties" - what kind of technical difficulties
> exactly ?

The kind of where I removed all the files. See the announcement on the
maintainers mailing list [2].

Pretty much all of the content is generated automatically from the
available packages. Carlos de Falco has a backup of the scripts that
ran it the in the background. I'm hoping that SourceForge will restore
it (they do keep backups) but they don't provide support on weekends
(fair enough) and the support ticket was only escalated on Friday
evening.

Carnë

[1]
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Forge-website-is-down-pkg-forge-will-not-work-td4665732.html