KBHIT error: value on right hand side of assignment is undefined

From: lurix66
Subject: KBHIT error: value on right hand side of assignment is undefined
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 01:25:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I am trying to launch from Linux shell a script which uses the kbhit(1)
feature, and I get the error: "error: value on right hand side of assignment
is undefined".

Therefore I made a small demo script for the issue, it is attached
test_kbhit.m
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4665750/test_kbhit.m>

Although it almost (*) work from octave prompt, when I execute it form shell
I obtain the following:

/$ test_kbhit
no arg received, waiting for a keypress...
error: value on right hand side of assignment is undefined
error: called from:
error:   /home/brf/Documenti/processi/dimensionale/bin/test_kbhit at line 6,
column 7

$ test_kbhit 1
arg '1' received, not waiting for a keypress...
error: value on right hand side of assignment is undefined
error: called from:
error:   /home/brf/Documenti/processi/dimensionale/bin/test_kbhit at line 9,
column 7/

(*) it doesn't fully work in that I cannot pass an argument to a script in
octave

What does this error message truly mean?
Does it have something to do with the way octave is launched (used
*#!/usr/bin/octave -qf*)