problems installing optim on OSX 10.9

From: sdorsher
Subject: problems installing optim on OSX 10.9
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 18:28:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I installed Octave using MacPorts on my MacBook, which runs OSX 10.9. None
of the packages seem to have installed with it. Now I am trying to figure
out how to install optim, which requires miscellaneous, which requires
general. It also requires struct.

When I try to install struct via pkg install -forge struct at the octave
command line, I get the following error message.

mkoctfile: stripping disabled on this platform
mkoctfile: stripping disabled on this platform
mkoctfile: stripping disabled on this platform
mkoctfile: stripping disabled on this platform
For information about changes from previous versions of the struct package,
run 'news ("struct")'.

When I try to install general via pkg install -forge general at the octave
command line, I get the following error message.

unpackfields.cc:92:39: error: no member named 'assign' in 'symbol_table'
                        symbol_table::assign (fld_names(i), map.content...
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
unpackfields.cc:117:35: error: no member named 'assign' in 'symbol_table'
                    symbol_table::assign (fld_names(i), val);
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
2 errors generated.
make: *** [unpackfields.oct] Error 1
'make' returned the following error: /opt/local/bin/mkoctfile-3.6.4 SHA1.cc
/opt/local/bin/mkoctfile-3.6.4 mark_for_deletion.cc
/opt/local/bin/mkoctfile-3.6.4 packfields.cc
/opt/local/bin/mkoctfile-3.6.4 unpackfields.cc
error: called from 'pkg>configure_make' in file
/opt/local/share/octave/3.6.4/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1385, column 9
error: called from:
error:   /opt/local/share/octave/3.6.4/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 827, column 5
error:   /opt/local/share/octave/3.6.4/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 383, column 9

I don't really know how to begin debugging this. I have general familiarity
with Linux without a lot of practice in installation, but I am new to
MacPorts. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,
Steven